Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The Aftermath

I'm wearing Carpenter Jeans today.  They have lots of pockets and loops.  I may invest in a few pairs.  My job can involve sitting at my desk and imaging or cleaning up computers, or preparing an image for the server.  It can also - and often does - entail getting under desks to see if wires are plugged in properly, putting my hands in dusty places to check things, etc.  In short, I can't dress up to go to work, so Carpenter jeans would be just fine.  I can wear a more attractive top, but pants that can get dirty and take a bit of a beating are necessary.

I don't think I'll ever leave my desk again without my radio AND my cell phone, so - lesson learned.  

The nice things that happened yesterday?  Yes, there were nice things.  A young man I work with who is very much a mans' man, not a softy at all - asked me if I was upset and proceeded to try to comfort me.  When he could see I was crying (I hate to admit I did that at work, but the older I get the it seems the less strong I can be), he came over and stood next to me in my chair and put his arm around my shoulders and patted me a bit, trying to make me feel better.  Knowing this is not his normal modus operandi made it so nice.  It was very touching to me.  

My other young coworker, our department secretary, brought a bag of jelly beans in and tried to give me copious amounts of sugar, knowing I LOVE that now and then, and that I love jelly beans.  She tried to save my butt by texting me and calling me on her cell phone, but she did all she could in that area.

At the end of the day before she left, she gave me a hug.  She also told me that things weren't as bad as I imagined.  

I do have a tendency to beat the living poo out of myself when I do something I know is downright stupid and I have NO excuse whatever.

So today will be better - onward and upward, folks.  

Oh- and the last nice thing.  The boss lady herself, after we were alone and everyone else had gone home - it was my late day.......said she knew I had been upset, but that I had to find a way to remember things.  She also wanted me to know that during the busy day she had not spoken to me, and it was not because she was angry, but because she was so busy.  She didn't have to say any of that - she didn't want me to think she hadn't spoken to me because of any hard feelings.  

I was able to apologize and explain that I had no excuse and I knew it - and I'd certainly carry my radio and cell phone from now on - AND put a calendar on my phone with beeps to remind me of meetings AND signs at my desk.  

So the day ended not as bad as I made it out to be yesterday and I did indeed go to bed within an hour of coming home.  Today is a new day and the saying, "this too shall pass", has proved true.

Boy do I wish I had nine more years under my belt so I could retire!!!!  Nine more years before I ante up 30 and can say, "sayonara" to the full time working world.  

You know what else?  I had been so distracted lately that I had not prayed through the Our Father on the way to work in a few weeks - think I'll catch up on that this morning as I drive.  

Hope everyone out there is having a wonderful Wednesday, which is ALWAYS better than a Tuesday.

No comments: